Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hot Sun Beating On The Blacktop

Leaving Torino proved to be quite the challange... as we raced to do things I should have done before the show... such as finding a money machine & filling up the gas tank. So we raced around long after midnight... figured out Italian enough to pull money out of the machine and then much to my surprise couldn't figure out how to turn on the "automated" gas pumps or where to put the money. Finally we find an all night gas station and off we go toward Udine. By now I'm wiped out and having quite a hard time staying awake and so I pull over to rest my eyes... 3 hours later I wake up with a gasp...

OH NO! The Italians got a 3-5 hour head start!! I was wide awake as I raced once more toward our final European Show mad at myself for falling asleep. The rental car had an alarm that would sound if I dared to go over the speed limit that kept going off for some reason... Rachel would wake up each time... just long enough to inform me what the alarm meant... "your speed." she'd mumble... and I'd answer back, "I know." lol We were quite surprised, as were our new Italian Bruce buddies, when we pulled in at #74 - 76! I was so mad at myself for falling asleep. We could have been front and center rather than front between Nils & Clarence. :D Just imagine, front row... IN ITALY!! and with such a wonderful group of fans... from all around Europe. Udine was very hot... but dry... like Nevada... and like Kuwait City... where Mijbel is from... he too had traveled to Italy just to see the show!! The Italian fans had been such wonderful hosts... even with the hot hot sun there were smiles and excitement all around... that is unless someone tried to cut in line... which was taken very seriously. You earn your spot by coming early... if you don't come early... you stand in the back. Respect!! Mijbel had a really cool Kitty's Back sign... a great request!! After the firetruck came through and "watered" us... security went down the line explaining the rules of entry. We were to WALK. They pointed out the official police and warned us that if there was any hint of running or excitement to run that they would shut down the show instantly... and added that they were looking for a reason to shut them down... so what ever we do... DO NOT RUN. So we calmly entered the venue... and I walked all the way... right up to the front row!! Rachel was taken to the handicapped vip seating again. I was very very close to the same spot in Roma and Milan (Magic Tour)... in Milan I stood behind a young man named Fabio... this year in Udine he and his girlfriend Roberta were standing right next to me!! How cool is that? Roberta spoke very good English and we chatted for hours... as we melted in the sun. Finally the sun decended behind the stadium seats...

Badlands... after 17 shows I finally got it... the message for The Dream Tour... "it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive." It's not a sin... and I sure was glad to be alive and in Udine!! Amazing... The song selection was in general very "up beat" but Murder Incorporated brought a haunting reminder to not trust Bobby!! Check out Nils' killer solo.


It was a beautiful night... hot... hot... hot... No Surrender... Summertime Blues... Be True... Streets of Fire... My Love Will Not Let You Down...

Another incredible show from the boys (& gal, sista soozie!) whom I have grown very fond of over the months! Her expression is a joy... she looks so happy to be there with her smile so bright! She is very animated as well and her attitude fits perfectly filling the corner in front of Roy's piano with good vibes and cheer!


To the crowds great pleasure Born in the USA started off our encore set... sticking close to hits off the same album before closing out with Twist & Shout! The E Street Band fulfilled it vow... and brought the music!! Udine brought the noise! On the way out I tried my luck and asked for a set list... I was so thrilled to score!! They said that they were all gone but then suddenly the guy from back puts one in the air and says here! Oh my goodness, I got all three ITALIAN SET LISTS!!! What a great keepsake!! Thanks to all of Bruce's staff as well as his fans for the great memories!!

No comments: