Thursday, July 17, 2008

I'm On Fire

"It's like someone took a knife baby edgy and dull and cut a six in valley through the middle of my soul.

Is your daddy home... did he go away and leave you all alone?? I gotta bad desire?? Only you... can cool my desire??
I'M ON FIRE??"

So if he was on fire... why did he go away and leave her all alone??

What is it that makes a man leave the very thing that he needs... wants... desires? Why does "Daddy" go away? This is a question that puzzles many of good woman... so surely you don't expect to get the answer from me!!
But, if I were to take a stab at it, I would say... utter confusion. From the looks of it... that confusion is causing such turmoil in his soul that perhaps he blamed her when he found himself uncomfortable and at times miserable because he couldn't control his heart or his desires... which is only natural because you really can't control such desire... so again he blames her rather than cherish her... For whatever the reason he ultimately feels that he must forget her and leave her behind... all alone. But will he be able to wipe her from his mind?

It seems that even though he has gone away his memories of her is haunting him. Perhaps he can still smell her lingering perfume. At night he wakes up with the sheets soaking wet... which shows us that the distance he put between them doesn't help to remove his desire but causes him more turmoil... and now he is having nightmares... far worse he feels as though a six inch valley has been cut through the middle of his soul. He has caused himself to suffer much more than was necessary. Rather than enjoying the desire he has for her, he tries to put out that fire... he is probably stubborn and sure that he doesn't love her... perhaps even feeling that loving her was a bad idea from the start. And so he suffers... as we watch... sitting backward, hunched over a chair... contemplating.

I think that the only thing that redeems "Daddy" is that he comes home... with a bad desire. But there is a problem... while he was a way she met someone. "Is he good to you? Can he do to you the things that I do?" Which makes me wonder if the things that he did to her were actually as good as what he thought?? I wonder about his ego. Which leaves the unanswered question: Will she cool his desire or will she let him suffer and continue his ride on that DOWNBOUND TRAIN??


Bruce adds I'm On Fire to the Magic in Emirates Stadium at The London Show on May 31.

No comments: