Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Workin' On A Dream

"When did selfishness become a virtue?" Barack Obama asked as we stood in the pouring rain while hope was poured into the hearts of so many of us once more. These words still echo loudly within me as I am one of those who Bruce has talked of in his message... one who has justifiably lost faith... but Sunday was just want I needed. I had been hoping to get to an Obama Rally to hear him speak, to see him and get a feel for him in person rather than on camera... and so I went to see Barack Obama speak Sunday in Cleveland... but it was Bruce who had motivated me to go. Why is that? It is because Bruce does not have to care... he is set, financially, and he could go to any land, making it his home, and his land of hope and dreams... he doesn't need America... or it's failed ways. As well, he is a very busy man... not only does he have plans to release a new album in the near future with a tour to follow soon after his Super Bowl halftime performance... but he is busy with his family as well. Having just spent the last few days before the Cleveland Rally with his family in Syracuse, NY supporting his daughter, Jessica's dream to become an Equestrian champion... whom I am sure can attest to the importance of having someone believe with you in your own potential, he still found time to support the candidate that he believes is the right person for president. So after Jessica took first place in the competition... the whole family came to Cleveland to give their support not only to Obama but to America. I felt that if they could give their time and support to those of us who the current administration could care less about... then I should at least try to care... or try to believe that someone else still cares. So I went.... and I went early hoping for a spot close enough that I could see into Obama's eyes. I was the 11th person in line at 8 am. To arrive there around 9 or 10 had been my goal but I forgot to change my clock back as did the 10 people in front of me... but by 2 the line stretched for blocks... thousands waited in the cold wind... I had decided to not take a bag or anything that would hold me up at the security scanners but silly me... the shirt that I chose to wear had a piece of metal in the neckline that I had forgotten about so I got held up in the metal detector and had to settle for a second row spot right in front of Bruce. (hehehe). As I watched Kevin (Bruce's guitar tech) set up the mics I noticed that there were 2 mic-stands so I asked him "Why 2... who's here?" He grinned and asked, "Two what?" before moving the mic to the back as to not spoil the surprise.

The sun came out as Bruce took the stage. Impressed by Bruce's ability to see inside my soul and sing about my issues and my pain... this time he was understanding my disconnection to America... yes I pay my taxes... but I feel so disconnected... barely even wanting to be here any longer... let alone give more to such a selfish society... a society that embraces the rich and turns it's back on the poor... But there stood Bruce... giving. Why does he care? What could he possibly gain from this? He has everything he needs... or could possibly want... but there he stood... singing... for us... for America... singing that he still believes in the Promised Land. Oh... and about that second mic... Patti joined Bruce for the debut of a very beautiful "Workin' On A Dream" dedicated to Senator Obama.



Workin' On A Dream

Out here the nights are long the days are lonely
I think of you, and, I’m working on a dream
I’m working on a dream
Now the cards I’ve drawn is a rough hand darlin'
A straight and I'm back in.... and I’m working on a dream
I’m working on a dream, I’m working on a dream,
Though sometimes it feels so far away
I’m working on a dream, and I know it will be mine someday
Rain pouring down I swing my hammer
My hands are rough from… working on a dream
I’m working on a dream I’m working on a dream,
Though trouble can feel like it’s here to stay, I’m working on a dream,
Well our love will chase the trouble away I’m working on a dream,
Though it can feel so far away I’m working on a dream,
Our love will make it real someday
The sun rises up, I climb the ladder
A new day breaks and… I’m working on a dream
I’m working on a dream I’m working on a dream
I’m working on a dream Come on.... I’m working on a dream,
Though it can feel so far away I’m working on a dream,
Our love will make it real someday I’m working on a dream,
Oh it can feel so far away I’m working on a dream,
And our love will make it real someday

Bruce's words rang true as he shared his views...


"All a nation has that keeps it from coming apart is the social contract between its' citizens. Whatever grace God has deemed to impart to us resides in our connections with one another, in honoring the life, the hopes, the dreams, of the man or woman up the street, or across town. That's where we make our small claim upon heaven. In recent years that contract has been shredded and as we look around today, it is shredding before our eyes. But today we are at the crossroads.I'm honored to be here on the same stage as Senator Obama. From the beginning, there has been something in Senator Obama that has called upon our better angels, I suspect, because he has had a life where he has so often had to call upon his. We're going to need all the angels we can get on the hard road ahead. Senator Obama'll help us rebuild our house big enough for the dreams of all our citizens. For how well we accomplish this task will tell us what it means to be an American in the new century, what's at stake, and what it means to live in a free society. So I don't know about you, but I want my country back, I want my dream back, I want my America back. Now is the time to stand together with Barack Obama and Joe Biden and the millions of Americans that are hungry for a new day, roll up our sleeves and come on up for the rising."

Personally, I have learned to question the honesty and integrity of anyone I choose to line up with... I've seen over the years that the people that Bruce surrounds himself with are good and honest... or at least seem to be... and I have learned that I can usually trust Bruce's judgement for the most part but still this decision of who I'd give my vote to for president was one that I made on my own... so as Barack Obama took the stage and I watched... looking for a reason to believe.



So what did I see? I saw a man with integrity... explaining precisely what he believed... what he would change and what he hoped to accomplish for Americans... He shared his plans and his goals... he spoke bluntly and honestly about America's future. All was good until he brought up the current administration and McCain and with just the mention of his name came a sudden downpour... and I hoped that it was a sign of a washing away of the old that would bring us a fresh new day! But still of all the great things that Barack said, the line that is still in my mind,

"When did selfishness become a virtue?"

As Senator Obama made his way around the front of the stage shaking hands, as he past by I reached my hand over the top of the lady's shoulder that was in front of me and waited hoping that he would take my hand which much to my surprise he took... he has a good handshake... then as we let go I gave him a little extra gentle squeeze and let go... he had been walking past but when I released his hand he turned back to me and looked me straight in the eyes... and at the exact same moment we both spoke the same two words to each other... looking directly into each other's eyes, we said, "Thank you."


Thank you ALL!!

~

2 comments:

Sly said...

Beautifully written, Gina.

Cheers,
Sly

Anonymous said...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

....that says it all....